Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Is God Laughing at Me?

Yesterday I wrote in my Costa Rica Decision Blog about a quote I liked from one of the many books I'm reading on the country: "If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans."  said Iyanla Vanzant. The expat, Bob Normand, who quoted that had seen most of his plans fail or turn out differently than he planned. That is certainly possible for me too, though I am doing more research than that guy did before actually moving.

I'm doing my "due diligence" (as another expat proclaims) or serious research on Costa Rica as a retirement place before the August 23 trip to be truly prepared for making a decision sometime after the trip. I believe this is the wise way to go about it, even if a crazy idea! Then the above quote sort of slaps me in the face and I wonder, "What am I doing? Is God already laughing at my plans?" Well, first, I have no definite plans yet. Though I'm sure He is at least smiling, and also believe He loves to see me enthusiastic about anything whether it works out or not. I think that was the case when I worked so hard and enthusiastically to get First Baptist involved in ongoing volunteer mission work in The Gambia and the church just didn't respond. I moved on with life and got over the disappointment.

As written in both blogs, I've already asked God for His direction in this path (Prov. 3:5-6). And I consider "His will" most important for me and my life, though it's not exactly like considering that call to missions in The Gambia. As a follower of Christ I try to "acknowledge him in all my ways," which really does not change if I live somewhere else. In essence I can be in "God's will" anywhere I live and in anything I choose to do with my life. I live by faith here in Tennessee and would if  in Costa Rica.

This decision is about how I spend the last chapter of my life. It could end up being something I haven't even imagined yet. Where I'm seeing adventure, God may be seeing ministry. Where I see myself photographing the beautiful tropics and its wildlife, God may be seeing me as a special helper in a little church or some other ministry I don't know about yet. God loves to surprise! (See Ephesians 3:20-21, The Message)

So, I'm admitting that God may not give me clear directions to "Go to Costa Rica" or "Stay in Tennessee." I think I'm going to have to make this decision day by day while living in "His Spirit" as this blog proclaims. That reminds me of Jesus' words in Matthew 6:34,
So don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time.
Is seeking adventure (a big part of my Costa Rica thing) selfish and foolish? I don't think so, but I'm also not sure. No decision until after the trip and even then it will still be a day by day following of Jesus. Your prayers for me are appreciated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment