Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Grand Exit or Powerful New Start?

Our guest preacher was Bill Owens, father of Brandon Owens, our young adult minister. The text was 2 Kings 2:1-12, Elijah going to heaven in the fiery chariot and Elisha starting over without his mentor, tearing his old clothes off, taking on Elijah's robe and a double portion of his spirit to a new beginning.

Dr. Owen tried to apply it to our church putting off old ways and taking on new ministries in a new and different neighborhood. Change is always a risk, but God has given us His Spirit to move forward. A strong message I hope our people understood as I did.

But of course I was also thinking about my possible exit and daring move forward which is another risk-filled change, but like the church and Elisha I risk staying in my mundane rut without change. My change will also mean giving up most of my "things" (like Elisha ripping his robes off) and moving forward with God's Spirit. Well, I'm neither Elisha or a church that is moving into a new ministry nor an Elijah carting off to heaven in a chariot, but I am going to keep God central in this decision and do believe God will surprise me, whatever the decision! But I think I am ready for a change! (Or wanting it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment