Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Joy of the Gospel


The Joy of the Gospel is the title of Pope Francis' new book on the purpose of the church. He continues to encourage changes in the Roman Catholic Church that make me wish we had Baptist leaders like him. See the AP release on how he thinks their church needs to be reformed or sort of a new mission statement. I'll quote just two paragraphs and all are nearly this church-changing:
"I prefer a church which is bruised, hurting and dirty because it has been out on the streets, rather than a church which is unhealthy from being confined and from clinging to its own security," he wrote. "I do not want a church concerned with being at the center and then ends up by being caught up in a web of obsessions and procedures."
He added: "More than by fear of going astray, my hope is that we will be moved by the fear of remaining shut up within structures which give us a false sense of security, within rules which make us harsh judges, within habits which make us feel safe, while at our door people are starving and Jesus does not tire of saying to us, 'Give them something to eat.'"
From my teen years it was missions that got me involved and gave me purpose in life and now it seems the most I hear about missions is a plea to give more money for it. Though I must confess that my local church has some mission opportunities with the homeless and addicted that I am now not participating in. So it is me too that needs to be reformed!  (But deliver me from the right-wing politics taking over my denomination and creeping into my local church.)

No comments:

Post a Comment