Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Spiritual Not Religious?

I must admit I have said that a few times and like most people it was a subtle slap at the church. So I welcomed Ray Waddle's column in the Tennessean today. It reminded me of two or three important things. The "Spiritual Not Religious" people never organize to help people during disasters nor send missionaries to serve so many people around the world. Pastor Frank one time said that you cannot separate following Christ from relating to people and that is what the church is all about with it's core being spiritual.

I could add to Ray's words with the fact that Christ called the church his bride and that we become one with Him to do his ministry in this world. Even the incarnation ministry of Christ in us works best through the church and her channels and with fellow believers. I still have problems with my denomination and only occasionally with my local church, but its imperfect nature allows us imperfect people to relate to hurting people in love and see that God only works with and through us broken and imperfect people. Yes, Ray, I agree that the phrase I have even used myself, "Spiritual Not Religious" rings hollow in the real world. I am thankful for my imperfect church.

The photo of tulips I just recently found on my computer and decided I love. I made it at Falls Mill, Belvedere, TN in April 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment