Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 7, 2013

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Last night via Netflix I saw the powerful 1993 drama movie What's Eating Gilbert Grape and in some ways it had a spiritual impact on me or maybe I wanted it to and it was just an emotional experience. Gilbert's mostly patient caring for his developmentally challenged younger brother in a dysfunctional family was almost heroic as well as very conflicted. I saw myself in Gilbert (Johnny Depp) over and over as I recalled the challenges of caring for Juli while trying to go on with my life in so many complicated situations (like Gilbert). Maybe I will write it down someday - another story to tell! The added interest of the movie was seeing a young Johnny Depp and an even younger Leonardo DiCaprio. Plus Juliette Lewis was great as the girlfriend! A delightful movie for me! See the  trailer or an essay on the movie. Gilbert said something like "Everything has a purpose, I just can't figure out what the purpose of this is." I know the feeling Gilbert!

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  
Romans 8:28 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment